For Immediate Release
October 28, 2020
Blink and It’s Gone
To Benefit Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and the American Cancer Society in Second Life.
From October 14th to October 28th, 2020!
And that’s a wrap folks! Thank you all for coming to the 2020 SciFi Expo, thank you to all of our sponsors, exhibitors, events, bloggers, visitors, and so many more!
This year we raised a total of L$827,965 (US$3,311.86) for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, and we are so incredibly grateful to everyone who has donated no matter how much, as even a dollar makes a real difference so thank you to everyone who donated during the Expo!
We’ve had an unbelievable time with all of you and we can’t to do it again in the future!
2020 Awards Results
The winners of this years awards as as follows:
- Top Fundraiser: Awarded to the top exhibits that raise the most Lindens through the official SciFi Expo donation kiosks and vendors.
- 1st Place: solares – L$44,381 ($177.52)
- 2nd Place: Javik Station – L$26,735 ($106.94)
- 3rd Place: USS Eclipse / JRF – L$21,650 ($86.60)
- Favorite Exhibit: Awarded to the most popular exhibits
- 1st Place: The Synthetic Union
- 2nd Place: Vortech
- 3rd Place: Cassandra City
- Favorite Event: Awarded to the most popular events that are held during the Expo.
- 1st Place: Furry Wrestling Federation
- 2nd Place: Party On Dudes
- 3rd Place: DJ Tim Perfect Dance Party
- Favorite Gift: Awarded to exhibits who give the most popular gifts.
- 1st Place: ECS – Artemis . Sci-Fi Roleplay Sim
- 2nd Place: [KCS] Combat System
- 3rd Place: Javik Station
- Favorite Theme: Awarded to the most popular region theme.
- 1st Place: The Void
- 2nd Place: Gallifrey
- 3rd Place: Cloud City
- 4th Place: Utopia
- 5th Place: Pacifica
- Best in Theme: Awarded to the top 3 exhibits that best embrace their regions theme. This award is awarded per region due its nature.
- 1st Place: Novatech
- 2nd Place: Cassandra City
- 3rd Place: [Drac]
- 1st Place: Original Marvel RP
- 2nd Place: [KCS] Combat System
- 3rd Place: Darkfold Builds
- Cloud City
- 1st Place: solares
- 2nd Place: Epsilon Security Consulting
- 3rd Place: HILTED
- The Void
- 1st Place: New Frontiers
- 2nd Place: Javik Station
- 3rd Place: Taskforce One
- 1st Place (TIED): DPG New Nublar
- 1st: Place (TIED): Milliways – The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
- 2nd Place: Unity Star
- 3rd Place: Gundam Park
- Best Overall Message: Awarded to exhibits that present accurate and detailed information about Breast Cancer in an effort to raise awareness.
- 1st Place: Hope Haven (ACS in SL)
- 2nd Place: Lanterns For Life
- 3rd Place: ECS – Artemis . Sci-Fi Roleplay Sim
Credits & Thanks
None of this would have been possible without the work and effort of an amazing group of people who’ve dedicated their time and effort to help create this event.
- Benjamin Brougham (Lead Admin, and Coordinator)
- Benjamin Balan (benjaminbalan2)
- Harleen Quinzel (thedamed.spore)
- Lan Nakajima
- Lazlow Core
- Melina Firehawk (Events Coordinator)
- TeeKay Darkstone
- Utopia Region: Benjamin Balan
- Gallifrey: TeeKay Darkstone
- Pacifica: Lan Nakajima, and Benjamin Brougham
- Cloud City: Taroseer, and Benjamin Brougham
- The Void: Taroseer
- Mesh Artist: Lone Wanderer
Marketing & Design
- Graphic & Brand Design: Benjamin Brougham
- Website Design, and Design Consultant: Benjamin Balan (benjaminbalan2)
- Design Consultant: Harleen Quinzel (thedamed.spore)
- PR & Marketing Assistant: Evelyn Colling Zelenko
American Cancer Society in Second Life Associates
- Volunteer Ambassador to the American Cancer Society in SL: Stingray9798 Raymaker
- Hope Haven Lead, and Making Strides SL Organizer: Sandie Slate (sandie.loxingly)
- And so many more!
YOU! Yes you too! Without the support of our exhibitors, events, guests and more this event simply would not be possible, and so from everyone on the SciFi Expo team we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking time to come and participate in our event.
The SL SciFi Expo is a charity fundraising event based in Second Life. Originally founded in 2017 to succeed the SciFi Faire and benefit Relay For Life, the event went on to hold two mega-events in 2017, and 2018, and two smaller holiday centric events also in 2017, and 2018.
About the American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society is a global grassroots force of 2.5 million volunteers saving lives and fighting for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community. As the largest voluntary health organization, the Society’s efforts have contributed to a 22 percent decline in cancer death rates in the U.S. since 1991, and a 50 percent drop in smoking rates. Thanks in part to our progress; 14.5 million Americans who have had cancer and countless more who have avoided it will celebrate more birthdays this year. We’re determined to finish the fight against cancer. We’re finding cures as the nation’s largest private, not-for-profit investor in cancer research, ensuring people facing cancer have the help they need and continuing the fight for access to quality health care, lifesaving screenings, clean air, and more. For more information, to get help, or to join the fight, call us anytime, day or night, at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
About Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is the American Cancer Society’s premier event to raise awareness and funds to fight breast cancer. But it’s more than just the name of a walk – it describes the amazing progress we’re making together to defeat this disease. Since 1993, 4 million walkers have raised more than $280 million through Making Strides. In 2007 alone, nearly 500,000 walkers across the country collected more than $50 million to help fight breast cancer. Learn more